PRIVACY NOTICE AND CONSENT FORM
The European Space Agency (herein the “Agency” or “ESA”) is an intergovernmental organisation established by its Convention opened for signature in Paris on 30 May 1975, having its headquarters located at 24 rue du Général Bertrand, CS 30798, 75345 Paris Cedex 07, France.
Protection of Personal Data is of great importance for ESA, which strives to ensure a high level of protection as required by the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection (herein the “ESA PDP Framework”) which applies in this field. ESA implements appropriate measures to preserve the rights of data subjects, to ensure the processing of personal data for specified and legitimate purposes, in a not excessive manner, as necessary for the purposes for which the personal data were collected or for which they are further processed, in conditions protecting confidentiality, integrity and safety of personal data and generally to implement the principles set forth in the PDP Framework, available at:
ESA PDP Framework is composed of the following elements:
- the Principles of Personal Data Protection, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017;
- the Rules of Procedure for the Data Protection Supervisory Authority, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017;
- the Policy on Personal Data Protection adopted by Director General of ESA on 5 February 2018 and effective on 1 March 2018.
This privacy notice is intended to inform you, as data subject, about:
– the identity of the data controller and contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”);
– the type of personal data which is collected and processed;
– the modalities of collection of personal data;
– the purpose of the collection and processing;
– the recipients (if any) to whom the personal data of the data subject shall be disclosed;
– the time-limits for storing the personal data;
– the practical modalities of exercising the rights of the data subject under the ESA PDP Framework.
This form also enables ESA to obtain your consent relating to the collection and further processing of your personal data, under ESA PDP Framework.
(1)Who is the Data Controller
Your personal data are collected and further processed as shown below upon the decision taken by alone by ESA. Thus the Data Controller is ESA.
(2) What are the contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer?
According to ESA PDP Framework, your first point of contact concerning personal data matters is the ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”), who may be contacted at DPO@esa.int
For further information on the situations in which you may contact the ESA DPO, please refer to the questions below.
(3) What kind of personal data about you are collected and further processed?
The personal data which may be collected and further processed for the purposes mentioned below are in particular:
- Team name
- School or Organisation name
- Students Age
- E-mail address
- Information in connection with your use of the website, such as information in server logs, including information when you logged in
- IP (internet protocol) address and data about your system activity
- Other information that you provide and which may directly or indirectly identify you, such as photos, comments, videos
You should not send any sensitive information (including information that indicate, directly or indirectly, the personnel’s ethnic origin, political opinions, adhesion to unions, parties etc., health situation, sexual orientation) to the Agency.
(4) How are your personal data collected or further processed?
Your personal data may be collected by various means, including via:
- Registration to the Climate Detectives Sharing Platform (https://climatedetctives.esa.int)
- Direct interaction with the website when submitting a Climate Detectives project to the Climate Detectives Sharing Platform
(5) For which purpose are your personal data collected and further processed?
Your personal data are collected and further processed in order to:
- provide a user account to enable you to submit a Team project to the Climate Detectives Sharing Platform
- determine your eligibility to submit a Climate Detectives project
- other purposes that will be disclosed to you when such information is requested
In addition to these purposes, the Agency may use your personal information for any of the purposes mentioned in Article 5 of the Policy on Personal Data Protection.
(6) To whom might we disclose your personal data?
The Agency may disclose your personal data to any of the following third party recipients for the fulfilment of all or part of the purposes of the collection and processing of personal data, which are mentioned above:
|Recipient acting as…
|Servers of the recipient are located in:
|Contractor(s) maintaining website/user interface:
This company is involved in the hosting of the climatedetectives.esa.int website.
|Multiple locations, some of which that are outside of the European Union. More detail can be found here.
The Agency does not consider your personal data as an asset for sale and, thus, does not does not sell your personal data to any third parties.
(7) How long do we retain your personal data for?
The Agency may keep your personal data for as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the above-mentioned purposes. Your Personal Data shall be deleted thereafter.
(8) How can you erase, rectify, complete or amend your personal data?
The Agency is keen to collect and process accurate personal data and to keep it up to date.
You may request the erasure, rectification, completion or amendment of your personal data if, and to the extent that it is inaccurate or incomplete, having regard to the purposes for which they are collected and processed, or if they are processed in violation with the principles referred in ESA PDP Framework.
If you choose to make a request for the erasure of personal data, you understand and agree that you may no longer be able to share the outcomes of your Climate Detectives project.
The above-mentioned request should be submitted to the ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to:
– Copy to: climate.detectives @ esa.int
You may also be allowed to access your personal data and have the possibility to erase, rectify, complete or amend it, according to the following modalities:
You have registered on the website climatedetectives.esa.int and may delete or edit your data by:
- Accessing your account: climatedetectives.esa.int
- Entering your account Email and password
- Clicking Log In
- Clicking My Account
- Clicking Delete or Edit
If you do not remember your password, you can reset your password by clicking the “forgot password” link on the sign in page.
If you are unable to access your account, please contact climate.detectives @ esa.int for assistance.
(9) What could you do in case of a data protection incident?
In case of a data protection incident, you should contact ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and climate.detectives @ esa.int
In case you wish to submit a complaint, you are required to comply with the Rules of Procedure of the Supervisory Authority set forth by ESA PDP Framework. You will be required to demonstrate that a data protection incident occurred in relation to your personal data, following a decision of the Agency or at least to justify serious reasons to believe that such incident occurred.
(10) Your consent
For those cases where your consent was not already obtained by ESA (including by other modalities) and is required under the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection, you agree with the collection and further processing of your personal data:
O I accept.
O I disagree.
You will be able to withdraw your consent depending on the modality used to collect your personal data, in particular:
- by erasing your account (please note, that content related with the Climate Detectives project added by you might remain anonymized on the platform without a possibility to recover the connection at a later stage or by a new registration);
- by sending an email to climate.detectives @ esa.int